Saturday, August 13, 2022
HomeSouth AfricaR300m for Life Esidimeni families

R300m for Life Esidimeni families

A sum of R300m has been set aside for families affected by the Life Esidimeni tragedy who pass a verification process by the Master of the High Court, reports News24. The money is to be made available through the Gauteng premier's office.

The report says this was announced by Gauteng Finance MEC Barbara Creecy when she presented her R132.4bn budget to the Gauteng provincial legislature for 2019/20 financial year.

Last month, Gauteng Premier David Makhura said families of at least 365 Life Esidimeni claimants had still not been compensated in line with Justice Dikgang Moseneke's arbitration ruling. The report says he was replying to questions from Democratic Alliance (DA) MP Jack Bloom in the Gauteng legislature.

[link url="https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/r300m-set-aside-for-life-esidimeni-claimants-in-gauteng-budget-20190305"]News24 report[/link]

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Receive Medical Brief's free weekly e-newsletter.

* indicates required